Author: Dean Suazo, Personal Trainer and Functional Movement Specialist
Being more active and taking up regular exercise can boost both our physical and mental well-being. Seeing friends is also known to improve our mental health and help feelings of loneliness.
Why not merge the two together and find yourself a workout buddy who also has similar fitness goals to you. If you want to get the most enjoyment out of your training sessions, try bringing a friend along. Not only does it encourage you to make regular exercise a habit, but you’ll also have some laughs along the way.
We all have those days that we just don’t feel like exercising and it takes every ounce of strength to get your gym gear on, never mind do the actual workout. Having a friend encourage you to workout can make all the difference to your mindset. Your workout buddy can support you on days when you just don’t feel like it and remind you that, no matter how you feel beforehand, you always feel better afterwards. Your workout buddy can also motivate you or give you the confidence to try new forms of exercises and come with you to classes you don’t want to do alone.
Here are some of the benefits I’ve experienced when I’ve trained with a friend:
• You can keep each other accountable. If one of you is feeling unmotivated, you can help support each other to stay enthusiastic.
• Creating friendly competition between each other.
• Adding variety into your workouts and doing things you wouldn’t usually do (i.e. going to a class).
• Getting a break from life and having interaction away from work or family.
• Spending quality time in the gym and not having to rush off anywhere.
• Maintaining a regular routine with your workout buddy.
• Ensuring safety when it comes to lifting heavy and having your friend spot you.
If you’re ever feeling unmotivated or lacking confidence going to the gym, why not reach out to a close friend, colleague, partner or a family member for support? Having a workout buddy has so many benefits and it could propel you much further towards your fitness goals, faster than if you go it alone!