- 8 pork sausages
- 1kg Maris-piper potatoes
- 4 medium-sized carrots
- 4 medium-sized parsnips
- 1 medium-sized broccoli
- 1 cup eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/350°F/gas 4.
- Combine the egg, flour and milk and whisk until they form a smooth batter, adding a pinch of salt.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into similar sizes and boil for 6-8 minutes or until they are soft on the outside only. Drain the potatoes and leave to cool on the side.
- Fry the sausages on medium-high heat with 1 tsp oil until lightly golden brown, turning regularly. Remove sausages from the pan and leave to one side for now.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut lengthways in half, add to a baking tray with the part-boiled potatoes. Add 2 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, covering well.
- Pour 2 tbsp oil in a separate baking tray or casserole dish and heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Add the batter to the preheated tray, followed by the sausages, ensuring they are evenly spaced and there is a 2cm gap from the edges so the batter can rise. Return the dish to the oven and cook for 30 minutes, along with the tray of vegetables.
- Remove the toad in the hole and leave to one side, adding the cooked carrots and parsnips. Shake the tray of potatoes and return to the oven to cook until golden and crispy.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Drain well and add to the toad in the hole dish with the vegetables and roast potatoes.
- Gravy optional!
43g carbs | 29 fat | 25g protein