- 280g dry penne pasta
- 125g bacon rashers
- 1⁄2 medium-sized onion
- 100g parmesan
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh parsley (15g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250g frozen peas
- Cook the pasta in boiling water with a pinch of salt for around 8 minutes.
- Finely grate 3⁄4 parmesan and beat together with the egg yolks in a bowl and set to one side.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Fry the bacon in 1tsp oil on a high heat until golden using a large saucepan. Lower the heat and add the onion and garlic, softening gently without colouring it.
- Pass the pasta through a sieve once cooked, reserving the cooking water. Add 3 tablespoons of this to your egg yolk and parmesan.
- Add the pasta to the bacon, onion and garlic and stir, folding through the peas.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the pasta and stir continuously for 1 minute while the eggs gently cook. Add additional pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve a thick, creamy sauce.
- Finish with chopped parsley and the remaining parmesan
68g carbs | 38g fat | 54g protein