- 250g red lentils washed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 250g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250g of Greek yoghurt
- 1⁄2 a bulb of garlic
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
For the Dhal
• Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
• Wrap the 1⁄2 bulb of garlic and a tsp of oil tightly in tin foil and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft.
• Heat 3 tsp of oil in a heavy based pan on a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and soften for 2-3 minutes
• Add the spices and tomato puree and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
• Turn the heat down to low, add the lentils, coconut milk and stock cube and cook for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are tender. Top up with water as needed
• Prepare flatbreads as below
• Season dhal to taste, finish with chopped coriander and yoghurt (optional) and serve with flatbreads
For the Flatbreads
• Mix the self-raising flour and plain yoghurt in a bowl with 1⁄2 tsp salt. The mixture should be firm like a dough, add more flour if needed to create this texture.
• Quarter the dough, roll out each piece on a flour-dusted surface until 1⁄2 cm thick. Flour your rolling pin to prevent the dough from sticking.
• Place a frying pan on a high heat with 1⁄2 tsp oil. Add the flatbreads to the pan, turning once they have bubbled and coloured evenly.
• To finish, remove the roasted garlic from the oven and remove the cloves from the skin. Using the back of a spoon, spread the roasted garlic puree over the flat breads.
62g carbs | 15g fat | 12g protein