6 Braeburn or Pink Lady apples
100g caster sugar
- 50g water
- 1 pack of fresh pre-rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F/Gas mark 3
- Peel and core the apples, cutting in half lengthways.
- Add water and sugar to an oven-proof, heavy-based saucepan that is large enough to fit the apples in. Heat gently on medium until the liquid turns to a dark amber colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter and stir well.
Layer the apple halves in the caramel liquid in a spiral pattern, ensuring there are no gaps between each piece.
- Cut the pastry to the size of the lid of the pan, place on top of the apples, tucking in the sides neatly.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 30 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven, place a plate firmly on top of the saucepan and flip over in one fast, smooth move.
- Remove the pan to show the glazed apples on top of the pastry.
67g carbs | 6g fat | 3g protein