Construction firm R G Carter is to resume work on the Mildenhall Hub from Monday 27 April with a Social Distancing Management Plan (SDMP) in place.
The firm had temporarily paused construction late last month to allow it to review its construction procedures and put in place a procedure that complies with government social distancing guidelines, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of their staff and those in its supply chain.
An R G Carter spokesperson said: “We are working in accordance with government guidelines and further to thorough risk assessments being undertaken, we will now be restarting work on site. We will continue to review the situation, as government guidance is updated.”
R G Carter has the contract for the £39 million construction of the Mildenhall Hub. A topping out ceremony was held on the site in early March.
Once complete, Mildenhall Hub is set to be a national exemplar bringing together a new school, leisure facilities, a health centre, library, advice functions and a children’s centre, as well as desk space for Suffolk Police, West Suffolk Council, Suffolk County Council and the NHS, including Public Health England.
Construction was originally due to be completed later this year with partners beginning to move into the building in early 2021.
Cllr John Griffiths, Leader of West Suffolk Council, said: “R G Carter have made this decision after taking very careful consideration to protect the safety of the construction workers and their families. When the country comes out the other side of this crisis, we, alongside our hub partners and R G Carter, will of course be in a better position to evaluate the build programme and the dates when the various partners may be able to move into the building.”
Mildenhall College Academy students Jessie Beale and MP Matt Hancock plant a tree to mark the topping out of Mildenhall Hub